“HOW TO WALK IN THE PRIESTLY BLESSING” by Ariel Ehrmantrout
Parasha “Nasso” Meaning “To Elevate, To Take”
Numbers Chapter 4:21-7:89
Haftarah: Judges 13:2-25
Priesthood Instructions: 2 Timothy
“The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace. So they shall put My name on the children of Israel, and I will bless them”
“HOW TO WALK IN THE PRIESTLY BLESSING”
1. The Priestly Order of Melchizedek, the Kohanim, the Levi’im
a. Man was made to be a King and Priest over the earth. Genesis/Bereshit 1:26 says, “Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
b. Adam was under this Priestly Order but failed to walk it out Genesis/Bereshit 3:13-19 and Melchizedek king of Salem had this function in Genesis 14:18. He was the representation of the Messiah, who came as King and Priest, renewing the Covenant that man had broken. YHWH desired for the entire nation of Israel to be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation
c. Abraham Tithed a tenth of His war spoils to Melchizedek Genesis/Bereshit 14:18-20 says, “18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, and he blessed Abram, saying, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.” Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.”
d. The Children of Israel sinned against the covenant resulting in a Priesthood change from the Order of the Levites, under the supervision of Aaron as Hebrews 7:11-15 says, “Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has officiated at the altar. For it is evident that our Lord (Yeshua) arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood. And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless (indestructible) life.”
e. This Priesthood remains in the hearts of those who are not following Torah—this is the Levitical Law and Look how Yeshua feels about it in Matthew 23:23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.”
2. Yeshua came to bring the Priesthood back under the order of Melchizedek
a. When the Messiah came, the order of Melchizedek was restored. If we are in Him we are of that royal priesthood and a holy nation “restored.” Melchizedek is from the two words: Melech/king and Tzedek/priest. The House of Judah represents the kingly side and the House of Israel represents the priestly side. When they unite together they become the two witnesses of the Messiah in the order of Melchizedek.
b. The Melchizedek Priesthood gives us the right to walk in the Priestly blessing—not of Aaron—but of Yeshua!
c. A Dissection of the Aharonic Priestly blessing:
1–The 1st Blessing was- The Lord YHWH Bless you (Provide for Your Finances Deuteronomy 28:1-14) and Safeguard you (Proverbs 21:31 says “The horse is prepared for the day of battle, But deliverance is of the LORD.)
2– The 2nd-Blessing was—May YHWH illuminate (John 8:12 says “Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.“) and be gracious unto You (Luke 2:40 says, “And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.”
3–The 3rd Blessing was—May YHWH lift His countenance to you (Acts 2:47 speaks of the early congregation saying, “praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the congregation daily those who were being saved.”) and grant you Shalom (Strongs word 07965 meaning “completeness, soundness, welfare, peace completeness (in your number) safety, soundness (in you’re your body) welfare, health, prosperity peace, quiet, tranquility, contentment and friendship (amidst all life’s struggles)
d. These blessings are all brought together in the person Yeshua Messiah! Rev 5:13 says, “13And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”
3. The 7 Keys to walking in the Priestly Blessing of Melchizedek!
1. Refuse to partake of the blessing of the King of Sodom–Genesis 14:17-24 says of Abraham, “And the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley), after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him. Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: “Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all. Now the king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the persons, and take the goods for yourself.” But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth, that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, “I have made Abram rich’– except only what the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me: Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.”
2. Walk in the blessing of YHWH In Psalm 1:1-3 it says “Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.”
3. Walk in the safety of the YHWH –Isaiah 54:17 “No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD YHWH.” Jeremiah 23:5-6
4. Walk as the Light to the Nations— Matthew 5:13-16 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your “good works” and glorify your Father in Heaven.”
5. Walk as a “Priest of Grace”— 2 Peter 3-18 says “but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Yeshua Messiah. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
6. Walk in the Favor of YHWH—Luke 2:52 says “And Yeshua increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.”
7. Lastly—Walk in the Shalom of Yeshua—John 14:27 says, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
AT THIS POINT LET’S LOOK AT SHAVUOT
SHAVUOT IN TORAH [Ex 19] & SHAVUOT IN NEW TESTAMENT [Jer 31:31-33]
In Torah Levitical System is administered by Aharon and His Sons
In New Testament Malkitzadekian Priesthood is adminstered by the Apostles of Rabbi Yeshua
In Torah- The fiftieth day
In New Testament – The fiftieth day
In Torah: Commandments of G-d written on tablets of stone (Exodus 24:12)
In New Testament – Commandments of G-d written on our hearts and minds
(Jer 31:33; Psalm 40:8; 37:31; Is 51:7; Ezekiel 11:19-20; 36:22-27; 2 Cor 3:3; Hebrews 8:10)
In Torah – Written by the finger of G-d (Exodus 31:18)
In New Testament- Written by the Spirit of G-d (2 Corinthians 3:3; Hebrews 8:10)
In Torah- 3,000 slain at Golden Calf (Exodus 32:1-8,26-28)
In New Testament – 3,000 live (Acts 2:38-41)
In Torah- People live by the letter of the Levitical Torah
In New Testament- People live Torah by the Spirit of the Torah (Romans 2:29; 7:6; 2 Cor 3:6)
Torah is given to Israel and all associated with them at – Mount Sinai (Exodus 19:11)
In New Testament – Torah is given once again at Mount Zion (Romans 11:26; Hebrews 12:22; 1 Peter 2:6)
The Torah is the same–yesterday, today and forever….choose it and you will live.
Chag Sameach and Shabbat Shalom
Ariel Ehrmantrout (C) 2010 all rights reserved worldwide
This Weeks Haftarah: Judges 13:2 – 25
Today’s Haftarah Message: “What’s in a Name”
Today’s Reading Judges 13: 22 & 23 “22 “We are doomed to die!” he said to his wife. “We have seen God!” 23 But his wife answered, “If the LORD had meant to kill us, he would not have accepted a burnt offering and grain offering from our hands, nor shown us all these things or now told us this.”
For this week’s Haftarah, we are in the book of Judges where the news of Samson’s birth and instructions from GOD on raising him are given to Manoah and his wife. Here Manoah’s wife is barren without children, but not only does GOD promise them a son, also that son, Samson, will begin the nation of Israel’s deliverance from the Philistines. That son will be set apart to GOD from birth.
Judges 13:5 says “5 because you will conceive and give birth to a son. No razor may be used on his head, because the boy is to be a Nazirite, set apart to God from birth, and he will begin the deliverance of Israel from the hands of the Philistines.”
What stood out to me in this section was the importance of a Godly wife and how blessed Manoah was to have one. Proverbs 31 provides the standard for a wife of noble character.
First she realized that she was dealing with a man of GOD, with a message from GOD, and communicated this to Manoah.
Judges 13:6 – 7 says “6 Then the woman went to her husband and told him, “A man of God came to me. He looked like an angel of God, very awesome. I didn’t ask him where he came from, and he didn’t tell me his name. 7 But he said to me, ‘You will conceive and give birth to a son. Now then, drink no wine or other fermented drink and do not eat anything unclean, because the boy will be a Nazirite of God from birth until the day of his death.’ ”
Second, she was assigned the responsibility of raising the Samson. GOD knew that she would raise Samson in the manner that HE required. The Proverbs 31 wife also looks over the affairs of their household.
Judges 13:24 says “24 The woman gave birth to a boy and named him Samson. He grew and the LORD blessed him, 25 and the Spirit of the LORD began to stir him while he was in Mahaneh Dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol. ”
Proverbs 31:26 – 28 says “26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.”
Finally, she gave encouraging words to Manoah. She brings good to him and not harm – just like the Proverbs 31 wife.
Judges 13: 22 & 23 says “22 “We are doomed to die!” he said to his wife. “We have seen God!” 23 But his wife answered, “If the LORD had meant to kill us, he would not have accepted a burnt offering and grain offering from our hands, nor shown us all these things or now told us this.”
Proverbs 31: 11 & 12 says “11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.”
But, the most fascinating thing about this account is that we never know Manoah’s wife’s name. Here, she has some of the attributes of a Proverbs 31 wife examined. The concept of name is that of a lifestyle. Because of the lifestyle she lived, maybe, her name was given, just not spelled out.
Rabbi Shaun Sailor
[5th Year Torah Student and Student Rabbi Shaun S. Sailor appears the courtesy of Temple Ahavah Torah Training Center. If you enjoy Reb Sailor’s Haftarah commentary each week, take a moment and jot him and encouraging note at email@example.com ]
Thank You!! Rabbi Ariel Ehrmantrout