“Wrestling With A New Self?” by Ariel E…..
This Weeks Torah Portion: Vayishlach—And He Sent
Haftarah Odediah 1:1-21
Priesthood Instructions John 5-8
“Wrestling With A New Self?”
1 Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him. 2 When Jacob saw them, he said, “This is the camp of God!” So he named that place Mahanaim. 3 Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom. 4 He instructed them: “This is what you are to say to my master Esau: ‘Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. 5 I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, menservants and maidservants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.’ ” 6 When the messengers returned to Jacob, they said, “We went to your brother Esau, and now he is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him.”
Mahanaim: Two Camps
- 1. After farewells to Laban, Jacob returns to the land of his father after 20 years
He must face his past-to move beyond it-and the last he knew Esau was waiting to kill him
- 2. 2 Angels meet him along the way-they are sent to strengthen and encourage him before he meets with his brother
- 3. Hebrews 1:14 says, “14Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
- 4. Jacob names the place “Mahanaim”-which means “Two Camps”
This is prophetic of the two houses of Israel that come from Rachel and Leah
Jacob: the living parable that represents us today
- 1. Jacob’s life is a prophetic parable of the process that we go through after we begin out return to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. To put this in a more modern linguistic presentation would be to say this is a prophecy of our return to the God of Israel and how we give our lives over to YHWH—after we make Teshuvah (Repent—Turn and Go away from traditional Christianity (made up of Catholic’s and Protesting Catholic’s)
- 2. Like Abraham-we are not circumcised when we first receive the covenant; circumcision is a sign—a sign that there is a change of nature. Abraham went from “wandering Aramean to the Father of the Jewish Nation by his act of obedience to the covenant requirement of circumcision which stands to this day. Many “so called” believers today have accepted the modern lie about Pauline tradition and missed the fact that circumcision was not ever thought on by a single living Jew—as a means of “salvation.” Salvation to people today is “fire insurance”—a policy—a quid pro quo—a one for one—you believe and you receive—which is really a works based doctrine when you think about it; all “good” people go to heaven—thus “good” is the standard—and not trusting in YHWH’s love for you in spite of your wishy-washy weaknesses. To the Jew-salvation is a life process—an inclusion into the family of Israel and receipt of the covenantal blessings that accompany the Jewish people as a whole. It simply means inclusion into the family of YHWH—his children—the Jewish people—regardless of your old nature of origin—but trust in Yeshua YHWH.
- 3. Salvation is a word that sums up several works of the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit). Salvation means “Deliverance” – God’s delivery and God’s power
Romans 5:8-10 says “8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!”
Shedding Old Wine for New!
- 1. We must take off our old nature—the life we lived before we were called to join the Two Camps of Israel—the House of Israel and the House of Judah. Our lives are no longer our own—they were bought with a price to reflect the glory of God—YHWH—which burned clearly and powerfully in Yeshua YHWH. Our old “gentile nature”–the sinful desires and emotions that attempt to govern our Soul—must be traded for the collective betterment of the entire people of Israel; Putting on “New Clothes” of an “Old Nature” will not ever work—many of us have never taken off the “Old Nature”—mostly because no one has ever given you the equipment to remove it by defining it for you—so you can know what it is.
Mattityahu 9:17 says, “17Neither do men pour new wine [Hebrew Lifestyle governed by the Torah] into old wineskins.[Our former Gentile lives] If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine[the Living Torah found in Messiah Yeshua] into new wineskins, [a newly acquired Jewish Lifestyle] and both [Your Former Life and your new life] are preserved.”
- 2. The ONLY way to take off the “OLD” is to surrender—allowing God to circumcise your heart-this is called “Salvation of your Souls” 1 Pet 1:9-2:3
- 3. Revelation 19:7 says, “7Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
The Idols of the past!
- 1. We are made up of 3 parts: Body (Adamah)-Soul (Nephesh) and Spirit (Chai Nephesh)
Our Spirit joins with the God of Abraham—but the work of the Soul (Nephesh—your mind-will and emotions) MUST come into agreement with God’s Spirit in our hearts (THIS IS OUR JOB). To many of us live as dual citizens—torn between Roman Christianity and Eretz Israel—the Land of Israel. This is the conflict of the dual nature that is often at conflict within us. For instance—do you keep Christmas or Chanukah? Perhaps you are a “both?” Some of you may even be a neither?? Regardless, this illustrates the conflict between our old nature’s Christian Christmas and Jewish Chanukah—our old life in conflict with our new nature.
- 2. Like Jacob-it is time to meet our Creator and deal with the past—we must leave ALL our possessions that separate us from God Mark 10:27-30 says “28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!” 29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”
- 3. Our “Idols” may be hidden in the “Possessions of our hearts”-we may not recognize them-but be assured that God does! Our Idols represent things and places where we hold on to our former gentile nature. Gentile means “Confused Pagan Unbeliever” to every Jew who hears the word, and far too often people will introduce themselves to their Jewish brothers and sisters by saying “I am a Gentile…..” This is a conflict that rages in the heart of many converts to the JUDAISM OF YESHUA as they attempt to continue in the pagan practices that keep them from receiving like Abraham did.
What are our past idols?
- 1. Memories, Prestige or Pride Is 43:18 says “18 “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past. 19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. 20 The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, 21 the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.
- 2. Tragedy that may have severed our heart—and kept us from receiving “New Wine” or the message of a salvation that is not inclusive of Israel—one that attempts to replace Israel with Rome. How can we know if we are victims of this deception? It is simple to know—what Holidays do you celebrate? Which way does your life face—Rome—with its paganistic theology and replacement theology; or Israel—keeping the Sabbath on sundown Friday to sundown Saturday—changing from Christmas to Chanukah—unclean foods to clean foods and the like—these are the signs for you to SEE and to KNOW which God you are serving.
- 3. Roman ways lead to bitterroot judgments which may be stored in our hearts that manifest like: emotional outbursts, fear, control, jealousy, defense, hatred, slander, and discord.
- 4. Some of us hold these closer than the “New Life” that is offered—that is why we have tried—but cannot go any farther—without abandoning these past idols!
Jacob prepares to meet Esav
- 1. Jacob is in FEAR because of PAST threats Gen 32:6-7
- 2. Instead of having faith in God—Jacob prepares 5 gifts for His Brother—trying to buy his favor! (5 represents GRACE in the Torah)
- 3. Like Jacob-New things look good to us-so we try to offer our own righteousness-and think it is acceptable to God
- 4. We are to offer God our good deeds-but our righteousness is filthy! Is 64:6
Jacob comes to the Jabbok
- 1. All of Jacob’s habits were from his PAST IDOLS passed on for generations
Only a “Face to Face” encounter with G-d would save His soul
G-d had much more for Jacob-but he had to DIE to receive it-NOT PHYSICALLY, but SPIRITUALLY—ONLY death would free Jacob from his Idolatry!
- 2. Jabbok is Hebrew for “Place of Emptying” or “Pouring Out”
- 3. Jacob was finally alone-after splitting His family in 2 parts-when He realized his Diplomacy and Riches (his works) had no effect—He was finally alone with G-d
Gen 32:25-29 says “25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.” But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 The man asked him, “What is your name?” “Jacob,” he answered. 28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome.” 29 Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.”
But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.”
Jacob wrestles with Yeshua
John 1:1 & 14 states, “ That the Torah was with God and that the Torah was God-and the Torah became flesh and dwelled among us”
- 1. Yet man cannot see God-as God is a Spirit—This “man” who wrestles with Jacob-is none other than God in the Flesh—Yeshua HaMoshiach
Jacob is finally set free after 20 Years!
- 1. Jacobs idols die during this encounter. Instead of his idol (The PAST) He must face Yeshua in the HERE AND NOW—for Today is the acceptable day of Salvation
- 2. Jacob will not cease his battle until he receives the blessing—Salvation of His Soul (MIND—WILL and EMOTIONS) Duet 28
- 3. Jacob walked differently from that moment on! With a New Name Rev. 3:12
- 4. Will you take your PAST idols: FEAR-HURT-GOSSIP-ANGER-CONTROL-TRAGEDY-PRIDE-FAME-RICHES-LACK-BITTERROOT JUDGEMENTS—to the Jabbok—and meet Yeshua there?
Will you “walk” like Jacob?
- 1. Like Jacob—will we go through the BATTLE IN THE FLESH —and will we NOT QUIT —until we receive our NEW NAME —and NEWNESS OF LIFE
- 2. This will result in the Salvation of your SOUL—YOUR NEPHESH (MIND-WILL AND EMOTIONS
God pronounces the Covenant Blessing of Abraham from Heaven
- 1. Neither Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob received the promise in their lifetime. They were strangers and Aliens in THE LAND! Heb11:13
- 2. If they didn’t receive the promise—then who are the Children of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob?
Galatians 3:29 Says, “29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise
And Galatians 3:7 says, “7Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.
- 3. BELIEVE here means “fidelity, faithfulness”
- 4. We are the Heirs of the Covenant Promise
17 He was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God; (BETH’EL) this is the gate of heaven.”
- 1. Mt. Moriah (BETH EL) This is where Jacob (ISRAEL) awakes from His dream 2 Thess 2:11
- 2. This is the SAME SITE where Abraham offered up Isaac and YESHUA was HUNG ON A TREE —not a cross– A Cross is shaped NOTHING like the LADDER is described Eph 2:18
- 3. Jacob takes the anointing oil—put it on the STONE and makes a covenant vow of OBEDIENCE
- 4. The STONE Jacob sets up—will be a “PILLAR” in the “HOUSE OF GOD!” Gen 14:18-20
10 Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come upon the whole world to test those who live on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God (YHVH) and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.
Who are you wrestling with? Is it the old nature that God is wanting to remove from you or the new nature in Israel that you are resisting? Only you know the truth of this matter. There are two camps—two ways to go—one like Esau’s leads to extinction—the other to the most vibrant people on the planet—the Priesthood of YHWH—Israel. Hopefully, your limp will be from making the right choice and not the wrong one.
Shabbat Shalom and Shavuatov!!
© Ariel Ehrmantrout- All Rights Reserved Worldwide